• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yes, the 10mm is quite the impressive round. I would compare it more to the .41 mag rather than .357.

I am not familiar with whats out there as far as factory ammo, but from a reloading standpoint, if comparing similar bullet weights and barrel lengths, it can achieve higher
    velocities than .357 mag.

ryang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    From my experience, I have shot nothing better than a 10mm (glock 29 is by far my favorite) More velosity than the .357 however in my opinion more controlable in some cases

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The 10mm makes the 357 look anemic, as XtremeVel says, it is more comparable to the 41 Mag. I have never had the opportunity to own one, but I remember drooling over the Bren 10 and the Colt Delta Elite as a kid reading my dads Guns&Ammo magazines. As a self defense round I feel it is a bit overkill in Indiana, though in parts of the country that bears and large cats are a problem, the 10 would be a good choice with full house loads.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ballistically they are great. ive only shot 1, it was pretty snappy on the recoil. i think i could get 3rds of 40 cals or 9mm on target in the same amount of time as i could get 2rds of 10mm.:twocents:

that said im far from a pistol guy so take my opinion with a grain of salt

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    10MM????

You can always load them down?? Wait a minute---THAT'S what the FBI did...And they called it a ".40 S&W"
    He!!--Load them HOT+Let them SMOKE...Bill.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The hottest 10mm rounds still aren't near .41magnum, but they are much more potent than a .357magnum.

The 10mm is one of the more powerful yet controllable rounds available in the autoloader platform. Loadings from 500-750ft-lbs energy are available and it's an excellent hunting round for an autoloader. One of the principle advantages is that it can be loaded all the way down to .40s&w levels and all the way up to nuclear, and still reliably function. It's relatively flat shooting.

I've been shooting 10mm for two decades now. Check out the thread on my collection:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/162569-my_happy_10mm_family.html

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've got a glock 20sf in 10mm and its a great package. I run full power 200gr jhp handloads and its a controlable beast. I like knowing that I have a reliable & compact pistol capable of taking a deer if need be. It's pretty accurate but you have to know that the glock legendary reliability is a myth, mine has had jams of all sorts. It's rare but it happens. Overall is buy it again in a heartbeat, but you better be able to reload.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I've got a glock 20sf in 10mm and its a great package. I run full power 200gr jhp handloads and its a controlable beast. I like knowing that I have a reliable & compact pistol capable of taking a deer if need be. It's pretty accurate but you have to know that the glock legendary reliability is a myth, mine has had jams of all sorts. It's rare but it happens. Overall is buy it again in a heartbeat, but you better be able to reload.

You must have gotten a lemon because I have 2 G20s and a G29 and all three have been dead-on reliable.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For personal defense and law enforcement, this is what Dr. Gary K. Roberts of the Letterman Army Institute of Research (LAIR) has to say about the .357 Sig cartridge:

The 357 Sig is not a bad cartridge, it just does not seem to offer anything that is not already available, at the price of less ammunition capacity than the similarly performing 9mm, as well as having greater recoil, muzzle flash, and wear on the weapon compared to other service pistol cartridges. See 9mm, .357 SIG, and the hydrostatic shock can of worms... - M4Carbine.net Forums

The .357 Sig cartridge is, basically, a .40 necked down to .355 (9mm) and loaded up to "magnum" velocities. Terminal ballistic testing by Dr. Roberts, SSA Buford Boone at the FBI Ballistic Research Facility, and other reputable testiing entities, demonstrates conclusively that supersonic velocities in handgun rounds do not increase terminal effectiveness.

The best performing offerings in .357 Sig. do achieve the same level as the better-performing loads in 9mm but at the cost of reduced magazine capacity, increased muzzle blast and recoil, increased wear and tear on the gun, and high ammunition cost coupled with limited availability.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You must have gotten a lemon because I have 2 G20s and a G29 and all three have been dead-on reliable.

I'd not a lemon, but it has jammed. Most of that had to do with some bad ammo, but it's also jammed with the good stuff too. I'm not disappointed with my G20SF by any means, but I just don't want to lead anyone else to believe the myth.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My son and I both have 10mm handguns. I reload for the two of us and I can easily make this round a "big boomer". Better accuracy is had with slightly less velocity with the bullet that I predominately use.

Yes, as many others have already said, the 10mm is a good round. It is very powerful for a pistol cartridge.

Terry

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I had a 10mm (glock 20sf) and loved it. I could have loaded it down for SD purposes as I think a full 10mm in my home is too much. After having it for a while I came to the conclusion that the round just wasnt for me. I can't hunt with it here and it was way cheaper to load for the .40 S&W for SD. It just didn't fill any particular niche in usability for me. It was a fun gun. If I lived in a state where it was legal to hunt with (like uncle Ted Nugget) I would have a 10mm with me all the time but for practical purposes here Indiana the .40 S&W fit my personal bill better. One heck of a beast they are and pound for pound said to be the most powerful handgun (FT/LBS of Energy in a single handgun - Glock 20).

Top Bottom