• ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The people commenting pretty much summed up my feelings

They should be thrilled their traumatized Jill Doe is alive to be able to seek counselling.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A terrible thing to go through but the money isnt going to fix that child. Sad is the only word I can come up for the parents. They should be counting their blessings that their child is still alive.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I could see suing for the ability to protect my child but not cash in a situation like that. The parents must surely feel helpless and this is the only thing they (and their lawyers) can think of.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know, if it's an outright attempt to profit that's obviously wrong. If it's an attempt though to incentivize providing actual security for students instead of stickers on doors it might be a good step to take. Maybe when states and districts realize they'll suffer financially they'll take more steps to fix the problem.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    cha-ching.gif

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I would sue as well. The state was complicit in making sure those children were not protected. Either by provided security or the security brought about by private concealed carry.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    When my wife had a car wreck 7 yrs ago we had 3 ambulance chasers contact us within a couple days. I am guessing business cards were being handed out in parking lot that day at newtown. Scumbags. If parents are asking for 100 they will probably clear 25 at most if they were to win. The large number is an effort by lawyer to advertise for other parents to file with him to start a class action suit.

Notice how I blame the lawyers and not the parents.

FWIW...I think those that survived this atrocity deserve help with shrink bills...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    But what if a parent of one of the victims were to sue the district/school for not having armed security on premises?

What's good enough for BHO is good enough for my kids...

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    First thing, this is an absolute horrible tragedy and my prayers go out to the victims and families, but who is going to be responsible for paying this $100 million though (not that it will be $100 million, but that's the amount they're starting with so that's what we have to use)? The decision makers of policy, who have absolutely no financial liability or responsibility for their decisions, or the taxpayers, who bear all of the financial responsibility for decisions made by someone with absolutely no financial accountability for their decisions made.
    What a hot mess of a system and just ripe for someone to take advantage of!

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    But what if a parent of one of the victims were to sue the district/school for not having armed security on premises?
    Prove to me first they were in favor of armed security on premises before the shootings. If so, hand them a blank check. If not, we're truly sorry about your loss. Pay funeral expenses and any therapy costs.

If you want to sue someone, sue lawmakers that made the school a GFZ.

I wonder who came up with the $100 million figure?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Prove to me first they were in favor of armed security on premises before the shootings. If so, hand them a blank check. If not, we're truly sorry about your loss. Pay funeral expenses and any therapy costs.

If you want to sue someone, sue lawmakers that made the school a GFZ.

It would be interesting if a jury found that a school was negligent for failing to arm teachers. (I'm assuming the school could have permitted teachers to carry, as in Indiana.)

Don't you see what effect that would have?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I would sue as well. The state was complicit in making sure those children were not protected. Either by provided security or the security brought about by private concealed carry.

This!!! Reap what you sow. We allowed gun free zones now we will pay for it.

What's good enough for BHO is good enough for my kids...

This again.

First thing, this is an absolute horrible tragedy and my prayers go out to the victims and families, but who is going to be responsible for paying this $100 million though (not that it will be $100 million, but that's the amount they're starting with so that's what we have to use)? The decision makers of policy, who have absolutely no financial liability or responsibility for their decisions, or the taxpayers, who bear all of the financial responsibility for decisions made by someone with absolutely no financial accountability for their decisions made.
    What a hot mess of a system and just ripe for someone to take advantage of!

The policy makers are not repsonsible. You and i (the voters) are. We elected those people and allowed them to make such policies and continue to elect them and continue to allow gun free zones. So we have no one to blame but ourselves for this and every other tradegy. The parents of that school district have blood on their hands of their own children. They have seen the evils of this world. They have seen columbie and other mass shootings and yet they still allowed gun free zones in there school, they continued to live in lala land. Well you reap what you sow. They choose to leave their kids in a danger zone.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    "Pinsky's claim said that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and Education Commissioner had failed to take appropriate steps to protect children from "foreseeable harm."
    It said they had failed to provide a "safe school setting" or design "an effective student safety emergency response plan and protocol."

Actually I agree with the Plaintiff's claim. In my humble unprofessional opinion, a claim amount this size isn't designed to be an actual dollar figure the P is expecting to get. It's this size to draw attention to the claim.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I would sue as well. That kid will never forget seeing that. That kid also should've been protected.

The people being sued should be every single person who signed the GFZ legislation.

Top Bottom