• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Nobody has filed yet, but the deadline is Sunday, apparently.

I hope Bushmaster takes them to the cleaners in legal fees for filing a frivolous claim, if any try to do so.

(Note: my reading of the article shows that none of the parties has yet identified against whom they will file a claim.)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Let me break this down real quick:

Lawsuit against Bushmaster: publicity, no chance to win. Why? Federal immunity, the PLCAA

Township: schools have a high duty to protect children in their charge, but this was a hard one to see as "reasonably foreseeable", so it's probably not strong

Nancy Lanza: I have some strong opinions of the genesis of this mess and the parents are in the middle of it, but doesn't make for legal liability. When he had to kill her to get her guns, that has a tendency to cut off liability.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Let me break this down real quick:

Lawsuit against Bushmaster: publicity, no chance to win. Why? Federal immunity, the PLCAA

Township: schools have a high duty to protect children in their charge, but this was a hard one to see as "reasonably foreseeable", so it's probably not strong

Nancy Lanza: I have some strong opinions of the genesis of this mess and the parents are in the middle of it, but doesn't make for legal liability. When he had to kill her to get her guns, that has a tendency to cut off liability.

Note also: per the article, the town holds the only thing of monetary value from Nancy Lanza's estate: her home. So, the suit against the town could be to get at that $64,000 asset.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If my kid was one of the victims, I would definitely sue -

* The Government, from the town all the way up, for not allowing guns to be carried in schools in the first place.
    * Then I would sue myself for sending my kid to a public school where they can be gunned down so easily.
    * I would urge Bushmaster and other gun makers to donate guns to all teachers, principals, janitors, etc...that want them to make schools safer.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not a lawyer, but of these suits the only one I see that MIGHT gain traction would be showing negligence on Nancy Lanza's part for allowing her mentally messed up son access to firearms.

Then try to collect from Nancy Lanza's estate.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Between this lawsuit and the recent Brady Campaign lawsuit is there a competition for the most frivolous?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Its all bulls**t! Two years later and now a lawsuit. When the columbine shootings happened lawsuits were filed within a week. My two cents...nobody died there. Do some of your own research and youll see the school was not used since 2008 amongst a assload of other interesting facts which im sure most of you are aware of. Would post links but I dont think its necessary as all the info thats out there doesnt add up to the official story!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Its all bulls**t! Two years later and now a lawsuit. When the columbine shootings happened lawsuits were filed within a week. My two cents...nobody died there. Do some of your own research and youll see the school was not used since 2008 amongst a assload of other interesting facts which im sure most of you are aware of. Would post links but I dont think its necessary as all the info thats out there doesnt add up to the official story!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

:ugh:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Those certainly would be interesting court proceedings - all conjecture, no "facts" to be found on either side. ;)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    So after the 10000th call from shyster lawyers trying to get some money out of the deaths of children, the families finally gave in.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Why not sue Toyota because he drove one to the shooting? Why they are at it what about the asphalt company that paved the roads he took. It makes about as much sense IMO.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Eventually some shyster piece of **** will try that. That's a big problem in this country, there is no satisfactory sufficient punishment for litigators that behave this way. If it were my country I would tell lawyers, sure if you want to chase ambulances, and sue McDonalds for making sure their coffee is hot, be warned... If we smell your shyster bull****, we're going to turn around and sue you for the same amount you were trying to sue for in the first place. Then I'd set up an account that receives payments from said lawsuits and distributes them towards public improvements. Like roads and bridges. The first 6 months that account will get a very large boost, shortly after that this problem would go away entirely. But since our country is run by lawyers who profit off of things like this it will never happen.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN

I will let someone much wiser than I express my thoughts after reading this

cfe1e187cd5703d9d1513ae24937b4839e3a7f1c97972667f576b79a1b2874a6.jpg

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Eventually some shyster piece of **** will try that. That's a big problem in this country, there is no satisfactory sufficient punishment for litigators that behave this way. If it were my country I would tell lawyers, sure if you want to chase ambulances, and sue McDonalds for making sure their coffee is hot, be warned... If we smell your shyster bull****, we're going to turn around and sue you for the same amount you were trying to sue for in the first place. Then I'd set up an account that receives payments from said lawsuits and distributes them towards public improvements. Like roads and bridges. The first 6 months that account will get a very large boost, shortly after that this problem would go away entirely. But since our country is run by lawyers who profit off of things like this it will never happen.

Simple solution: Loser pays.

GingerKid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2014
    NWI
    Someone told me, although I'm not sure how true this is, that there is a law in canada that if you file a damages lawsuit and lose you have to pay the amount you were asking for to the defendant. Definitely would make anyone think twice before
    asking for some ridiculous sum in a frivolous lawsuit

Top Bottom