10/22 Gurus help! New project idea forming...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, here it is in a nutshell...

Project: Build a 10/22
    Difficulty: No Ruger parts except rotary mags. :D

Question: Who makes a good receiver? Not looking for Olympic class or money competition grade, but a good upgrade over the factory... Will be some form of target stock, .920 barrel, and probably (but not decided yet) Volquartsen trigger group.

Thought about trying one of the 80% receivers, and finish it myself, but not sure about how much precision is really needed.

There's MOA, the NoDak Spud NDS-22, Tactical Solutions X-Ring, Volquartsen Superlite, and probably lots of smaller manufacturers I'm not even aware of...

How good does it need to be? Anyone got any good vs. bad firsthand on any of these?

Edit: And after seeing a product on the NoDak site, thinking a pair would be nice, one with optics, on with the A2 style rear and AK style front sight on a .920 bbl...
    Hmmm... I got more projects and ideas than I do time and greenbacks...

hoosier_sully

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Why stop at the magazines? Just use black dog mags and you can have a whole "ruger part less" 10/22. You'd better plan on keeping this thing for quite some time, because you're going to take a bath if you ever decide to sell it. You will probably have better luck parting it out and selling it that way. Don't get me wrong I applauad your decision to build it your way, but by the time you're done you'll probably have spent enough to buy 8 to 10 good used stock 10/22's. Good luck with your project. Don't forget to post pics when it's finished.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    162   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Yuk for the Black dog mags

I own 25 Ruger 10/22's and would not use a Black Dog mag if given to me. I had 2 of the drums and couldn't get them to feed half a mag without locking up. There are better options than these

Martin Draco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    I've finished two 80% receivers and they're not that difficult. I used a factory 10/22 receiver for reference but I would suggest using the jig they offer. As far as mags go I like the new Ruger 25 rd mags.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Why stop at the magazines? Just use black dog mags and you can have a whole "ruger part less" 10/22. You'd better plan on keeping this thing for quite some time, because you're going to take a bath if you ever decide to sell it. You will probably have better luck parting it out and selling it that way. Don't get me wrong I applauad your decision to build it your way, but by the time you're done you'll probably have spent enough to buy 8 to 10 good used stock 10/22's. Good luck with your project. Don't forget to post pics when it's finished.

Its definitely intended to be a keeper, right now all the guns I'm building are builds for me (ARs, Mosin projects, 1911). At the moment I'm without a .22, always have loved the 10/22, but prefer a heavier, slightly longer barrel, I strongly dislike the new plastic trigger groups Ruger is using, and know better, more accurate parts are out there in spades.

I build my own computers, work on my own vehicles, so I try to build my own guns (or at least upgrade them) myself also when I can.
    My artistic ability left after middle school, this is my art now, lol. More of the concept or ideas.

Top Bottom